Finding the Best Flat Iron for Frizzy Hair
If your hair has a tendency to frizz, I know your pain! Even when you straighten it, it seems to turn into an uncontrollable mess the instant there’s a hint of moisture in the air. More often than not you feel like you’ve got the lion’s mane pictured below. But don’t worry – it is possible to keep your hair smooth, shiny, and beautiful all day long. Read on for expert advice on finding the best flat iron for frizzy hair, and some great styling tips to help you tame the frizz!
What Causes Frizzy Hair?
Mostly it’s just the luck of your hair type and you can blame genetics for that. To try and put a scientific process simply, the hair follicle is raised and allows moisture to enter, puffing up the strand. Instead of appearing smooth and shiny, the hair will look dry and frizzy.
The funny thing is that, although it’s caused by moisture, it’s actually far more likely to occur if your hair is dehydrated. Frizz is also more common in people with curly hair than straight because this tends to be naturally drier and coarser.
But there are a few factors that can really make frizz go wild. These include:
- Extra moisture in the air can play havoc with frizz.
- A brand of shampoo which is drying out your hair.
- A conditioner that’s not penetrating deep into the hair shaft.
- Not drinking enough water can make your hair dehydrated – the same for the rest of your body.
- Too much chemical treatment (e.g bleaches and dyes).
What Can Help Reduce the Frizz?
Thankfully, having hair that’s prone to frizz does not have to mean you’re stuck with it. Try these simple tips to reduce frizz:
- Drink plenty of water – especially on hot days – your whole body will thank you for it!
- Choose a shampoo and conditioner that are designed to target frizz.
- Buy a deep conditioning treatment and use it once or twice a week.
- Eat a balanced diet – protein imbalance can contribute to frizzy hair.
- And, of course, the right flat iron! Read on to find out more.
What Should You Look for in a Flat Iron for Frizzy Hair?
The flat iron you choose will make a big difference to how your war on frizz turns out. The most important features to look for include:
- Anti-static technology: a plate surface charged with negative ions (like titanium or tourmaline) will help to lock in moisture and lock out frizz.
- Adjustable temperature settings: the last thing you need is to dry out your hair by applying too much heat. Look for a straightener with easy to adjust settings, start low, and find the setting which allows you to straighten with two passes of a half inch section – that’s your perfect heat setting.
- NOT a ‘Wet to Dry’ model: Your style will be a disaster area with half an hour if you’re already prone to frizz.
Styling Tips that Help to Fight the Frizz:
- Always use a heat protectant mist before straightening – heat damaged hair will become much frizzier!
- Comb your hair gently before straightening – do not use a brush as this will increase static.
- Straighten hair from the nape up in really thin sections – this will allow the heat to penetrate every strand, instead of just straightening the top strands and leaving the inner strands to puff out within an hour of styling.
The Best Professional Flat Iron for Frizzy Hair:
With its Nano-titanium technology, the Bio Ionic One Pass Flat Iron is the very best flat iron I’ve found for frizzy hair. Some of its frizz-fighting features include:
- Titanium plates – the best anti-static material.
- Silicone strips to ensure a smoother and more even pass through the hair.
- Precision heat settings – so you can always ensure the temperature is just right.
The Best Cheap Flat Iron for Frizzy Hair:
Admittedly, the Bio Ionic is one of the more expensive flat irons on the market. But it is possible to find a frizz-busting flat iron without busting the bank. I recommend the Conair Infiniti Pro. It retails for under $60 and has some nifty little features, including:
- Ceramic plates, coated with tourmaline and nano silver – still pretty good for anti-static.
- Handy little retractable combs to help ensure tangle-free styling.
- Electronic temperature settings to help you get the right heat level for your hair.
Need a Little Touch-Up?
I’m loving the new mini flat irons on the market these days. And, if the air conditioner at work does awful things for your hairstyle, it could be just the thing to keep in your desk drawer! They’re super light and portable but do a surprisingly good job at straightening out kinks and flyaways that appear through the day.
My favorite is the 6th Sense Mini Flat Iron – it’s only 11 inches long but it features the latest Nano Silver and Tourmaline technology for styling on the go.
Conclusion: Frizz Can be Controlled with the Right Tools and the Right Technique:
Don’t let frizzy hair get you down! Invest in a flat iron with anti-static technology, find a product which works for your hair, and always be patient with your styling. You’ll find that it’s actually super easy to keep that frizz at bay!
We’d Love to Hear Your Questions, Suggestions, and Advice:
We’re always looking for new hair products to review, new styling tips to share, and new advice guides to create. If you’ve got a question, suggestion, or idea, please feel free to drop us a line – we’re super friendly and we always reply! Just drop your comment at the bottom of this post or send a message to our contact page. Don’t be shy!