Straightening Out Those Kinks is Easy With the Right Tools!
Curly hair is gorgeous. And most women with straight hair envy those with curls. But, the grass is always greener on the other side, right? Many women with beautiful curls long for straight hair occasionally. If you have super-curly hair and want the option of straightening it occasionally, you can have the best of both worlds! All you need are the right styling tools and an excellent technique! Read on for expert advice on using heat styling with naturally curly hair.
What to Look for in a Flat Iron for Curly Hair:
Not all flat irons are created equally and, believe it or not, not all curls are the same hair type. You can have thick curly hair, thin curly hair, coarse curly hair, tight curls or loose curls. And the flat iron you choose will depend on your hair type. These three rules should help you choose a model that works for you:
- The most important thing to look for is variable heat settings, as this will allow you to adjust the temperature to work for you – regardless of what hair type your curly locks fall into.
- The second most important feature is anti-static technology – especially if you live in an area with a humid climate.
- The other essential feature to look out for is a plate design which won’t catch and snag your hair.
Heat Styling Tips for Straightening Curly Hair:
- Invest in a curl-relaxing shampoo and conditioner and use it daily for a couple of days before you intend to straighten your curls.
- Apply a heat protectant mist all over your hair before styling and work it through with a wide-toothed comb.
- Section your hair into half-inch lines – the thinner the sections are, the less passes you’ll have to do, and the longer your style will last.
- Adjust heat settings until you find the one which straightens your hair in two passes.
- Start from the nape and straighten section by section – don’t rush it – the time and care you take will directly reflect your styling result.
- Keep your movement fluid and even – pass fairly slowly down each section but do not allow the movement to stop.
- Consider using a flexible setting spray to keep your style looking smooth and shiny for longer.
Using Your Flat Iron to Enhance and Tidy Your Curls:
Flatirons are not only for straightening! Did you know that you can also use them to touch up your curls for a more polished look? Try these tips:
- Use a curl-enhancing product and gently comb it through your hair with a wide-toothed comb.
- Set your flat iron on a low heat.
- Take each curl and grasp it near the roots, with the flat iron facing down.
- Flick your wrist around so that it’s facing the usual way up and pull gently down the curl.
- Your curl should now look like a perfect (and super shiny!) little ringlet. You can either pick out random curls to do this with or work through every curl on your head – it’ll take a long time but is so worth it for a special occasion!
Do you have an expert styling tip we haven’t covered? Don’t keep it a secret – share the love! Comment your styling success story at the bottom of this page so that other curly-haired sisters can try it out!
Splash Out: The Best Professional Flat Iron for Curly Hair
we’ve scoured reviews of all the top professional straightener brands to find out which is the most trusted and highly praised among curly-haired women. And the winner is the:
Rusk Professional STR8 Flat Iron:
So, what makes this flat iron more effective than its competitors for curly hair?
- The tourmaline plates have the best anti-static properties to keep that frizz from creeping back.
- Slippery smooth plates which make it easier to pass down your curls in one continuous motion without snagging.
- Adjustable temperatures ranging from 270 to 450 degrees.
- Even reviewers who claim they have really “hard to straighten” hair report success with this model.
Save Cash: The Best Cheap Flat Iron for Curly Hair
A good professional flat iron can cost the earth. But, if you can’t afford the price tag, there are cheaper tools which can give you a good result, if not a salon standard. The most recommended budget flat iron for curly hair is the:
Remington Pro 1″:
Reviewers recommend this flat iron because:
- The anti-static technology seems effective at keeping frizz at bay – even in humid climates.
- Adjustable temperature settings allow you to control how much heat you’re putting in your hair.
- Customers were surprised at how long-lasting the results were – including women with tight, African-American curls.
- You can pick up these straighteners for around $20 – at that price, it’s hard to go wrong, especially when you take the 4-year warranty into account.
Overall, if you don’t have the money to spare for a professional flat iron, this model is a pretty good option. Click here to find out the current price for the Remington Straightener.
Conclusion: Sometimes a Change is as Good as a Holiday
If you have naturally curly hair – you’re so lucky! Never forget that everywhere you go, other women are admiring and coveting your hair! But that doesn’t mean that you don’t occasionally feel like changing up your look.
Do You Have a Question, Comment, or Suggestion? We’d Love to Hear From You!
We’re always looking for interesting new topics for articles, as well as new hair straightener models to review. If you’ve got a question or suggestion, please don’t be shy – drop a comment at the bottom of this page or send a private message to our contact us page. We look forward to hearing from you!